Hiring processes in academia are very different beasts than those in the corporate arena. Articles here acknowledge the difference.
You will find articles from other educators, hiring managers, and from career coaches and experts, written from the unique points of view their experiences working in higher education and with other successful educators.
You will find career strategies, as you would on many jobsites. But they won’t be written in a generic fashion. You will be able to use the advice you find here to move forward in your career in Higher Education.
- The core of this site is our Blog, which features advice articles, first-person perspectives, interviews, book reviews, news, announcements, resources and other information, geared toward helping educators move forward in their careers. Click on the Latest Post tab to read recent entries.
- The Job Search section features posts on job-search strategies, resume and CV writing, networking, reputation management, and using social media to get ahead in your search.
- The Career Skills section is where you will find advice and perspectives on career planning, building transferable skills, navigating workplace dynamics, mentorship and transitioning into leadership.
- On the Coaching page, you will find information about current deals on coaching packages.
- The Resources page links to professional associations, online tools, and other great web sites that assist job seekers and higher education professionals.
- On the Events tab, you’ll get information about upcoming events sponsored by Higher Ed Career Coach and selected partners. Some are free, others require an investment.
- At the Store, you’ll find products and services offered by Higher Ed Career Coach, including coaching packages, e-ice, videos, audio-books and podcasts, and webinars. You’ll also find information about select products and services offered by other coaches, programs and services.
Some examples of the kinds of articles you can expect to find here:
- Cover Letters: 6 Reasons You Should Write One, Even If You Feel It’s a Waste of Time
- Know Your Network, Grow Your Network: Why You Need to “Get” LinkedIn
- Staking Your Claim: Convergence, Working the “Long Tail” and Defining Your Personal Brand
- Salary Negotiation and Poker: Start With the Hand You’re Dealt: Unique Value Propositions
- How To Overcome Your Phone Interview Hang-Ups: 10 Tips for Success